Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Iceland to build first temple to Norse gods since Viking age

A modern version of Norse paganism has been gaining popularity in recent years as followers see the stories as metaphors for life not worship of the gods




Icelanders will soon be able to publicly worship at a shrine to Thor, Odin and Frigg with construction starting this month on the island’s first major temple to the Norse gods since the Viking age.
Worship of the gods in Scandinavia gave way to Christianity around 1,000 years ago but a modern version of Norse paganism has been gaining popularity in Iceland.


“I don’t believe anyone believes in a one-eyed man who is riding about on a horse with eight feet,” said Hilmar Örn Hilmarsson, high priest of Ásatrúarfélagið, an association that promotes faith in the Norse gods.
“We see the stories as poetic metaphors and a manifestation of the forces of nature and human psychology.”


Membership in Ásatrúarfélagið has tripled in Iceland in the last decade to 2,400 members last year, out of a total population of 330,000, data from StatisticsIceland showed.
The temple will be circular and will be dug 4 metres (13ft) down into a hill overlooking the Icelandic capital Reykjavik, with a dome on top to let in the sunlight.
“The sun changes with the seasons so we are in a way having the sun paint the space for us,” Hilmarsson said.


The temple will host ceremonies such as weddings and funerals. The group will also confer names to children and initiate teenagers, similar to other religious communities.
Iceland’s neo-pagans still celebrate the ancient sacrificial ritual of Blot with music, reading, eating and drinking, but nowadays leave out the slaughter of animals. 
Access the original post here

15 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't believe Norse paganism is making a comeback after such a long time. The fact that the followers of this faith view Nordic myths as "poetic metaphors" indicates the utilization of second-order religious discourse, which is more abstract. I think this article is a good supplement to Chapter 4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I didn't know about it. This article increased my knowledge regarding comeback of Norse Panganism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a great example of the right to practice any religion you like. This country is, and the world should, be based on this right of religious freedom as long as it is peaceful.

    Michael Moreira

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad they're able to worship in public now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's fascinating how such an old religion is now returning. I think it is great that these people are now able and free to practice whichever religion they like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just happy that they're able to worship freely in public and it's great to see the interest of such an old religion coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's so interesting to be able to see aspects of Norse paganism being brought back to newer times. I find especially fascinating how their faith manifests the forces of nature and human psychology. I'm glad to see that this is gaining momentum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad that they are able to worship freely, it would probably be pretty cool to see a ceremony in that temple.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am actually quite unfamiliar with Norse Paganism but this post was very interesting to read. I, however, am aware that this is a very old religion and the fact that it is now making a comeback is pretty fascinating. Everyone should be able to have the freedom to practice whatever religion they wish, no matter if it's considered to be "outdated" or not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It really is very interested to see such an old religion resurge after all this time. It makes me wonder what's causing it to regain popularity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It kind of makes me uncomfortable since it's so far from my own beliefs. However, I do believe in free will and have the choice to follow and worship as you want. At the end of the day, they deserve to be able to freely worship as long as they aren't hurting anyone of course.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is impressive how a religion that was not allowed to be practiced came alive after so many years. Even though I do not know anything about this religion, it sounds interesting and I look forward to investigating what made the government take the decision of allowing this to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is remarkable that after so many years they still want to preserve some traditions, but I am also relieved that no animals will be harmed in the ancient sacrificial ritual of Blot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've fallen into different religions and philosophies over the years, but they always felt foreign to my Northern blood. And I've lived and worked in many different cities and countries around the world, but not one ever felt like "home." Maybe if I visit Iceland and Reykjavik?

    ReplyDelete