Monday, January 23, 2017

Benny Hinn - Sacred Power?

Check out this video and comment on what you think about it. Are these manifestations of Sacred Power? Why or why not?

Which academic discipline (Phenomenology, sociology, anthropology, history or psychology) would you use to to an analysis of this group or these practices?

Watch closely the man in the suit 22 seconds into the video. Does he go up or down at first?

Have you ever experienced anything like this?




Compare what you see in this video with some of the miracles of Jesus. What is similar? What is different?

Luke 5:12-15 (pay special attention to 14 "tell no one")

Luke 8:49-56 (also notice verse 56 - "he ordered them not to tell anyone what had happened")

Matthew 9:27-31 (again, read verse 30 - "Jesus warned them sternly 'See that no one knows about this'")

Are there any ethical guidelines to how sacred power should be used? What are the dangers of sacred power?

4 comments:

  1. I would definitely say phenomenology would be the way to go when observing an event such as this one. I myself have never gone through anything like thus, but it is interesting how these people genuinely seem to be taken over by something otherworldly, in this case the holy ghost. I do not think sacred power has any guidelines it is more out of human control, it is something that is in fact nominous. Overall, sacred power has its dangerous sides but a reflective loving and peaceful side to it as well, it is not defined entirely by danger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are definitely manifestations of a Sacred Power, this is a very interesting video to watch. I do agree with Paul that it is a phenomenology, it is like the power of god is taking over them as the pastor swings his hand in front of them. I have never experienced a situation like this one but I use to attend a church where I saw this occur, at first it was very shocking but after I started to understand what was going on it was very interesting to me. In the video at 0.20 seconds the man in the suit goes up first, he is the only person in the video who goes up before he falls. A lot of these people who are falling are receiving miracles and decide to dedicate themselves to the church from that point forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophia Sires
    1. In my opinion, no; but in the opinions of those in the audience, yes. The pastor has made a role for his followers, and his followers are playing that role. Because they see the priest as an extension of God, he becomes God (to them).
    2. I would use psychology, namely because I would want to see the reasoning behind acting this way (in a scientific sense) when the priest only raised his hand to them.

    3. At first he went up (bounced); then back, and then fell.

    4. No.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think these are manifestations of sacred power, I mean, they shouldn't be, because the man is not some type of god or divinity. I guess it depends on whether you believe in this or not.
    To analyze this practices I would definitely use a combination of sociology and psychology. Sociology, because it is the manifestation on a religion within a modern and literate society, and Psychology because I think that the causes and reasons why people do these things can be originated from the mind and psychological dimension.
    Regarding the man in the 22nd second, I found it REALLY funny, and after analyzing it closely for a couple of minutes I concluded that he goes up first, then down. Lol.
    Finally, I have never experienced something like this, maybe that's why I don't believe in it. If I ever experience something similar, I may change my opinion.

    ReplyDelete